Tuesday 15 April 2014

Task 2b: Reflective writing

Ok so I decided to try out the different ways of writing on a day that I had a dance audition down in London.

I firstly used description then initial reflection, evaluation, graphs, what if and another view. I was really surprised at how much these different reflecting styles really helped my get deep into my thought process.

The first method I tried was Description this involved my purely writing out my days events in a diary format, writing in order exactly what happened and what the main events were. I found this the easiest method to start with as I had the main bulk of facts to build on with each other reflecting style.

The second one I used was Initial Reflection I found this way of writing the most eye opening. I thought about my emotions and feelings throughout the day before, during and after the audition, and it showed me a lot. I'm glad I chose this particular day to try out these different methods because its showed me my attitude towards auditions which I hadn't noticed before. Its enabled me to think about how I act in these situations and how I could change my attitude to be more positive and relaxed.

Evaluation flowed perfectly after initial reflection as it allowed me to reflect on my feelings/emotions from the days events. I was able to criticise and analyse myself which is a very important part of reflection. Thinking about what worked well is a vital part of journal writing and allows the writer to notice what needs changing or improving. Without evaluation how could I overcome bad feelings or change for the best?

The next one I tried out was Graphs, charts and diagrams at first I wasn't sure about this; how could drawing a chart help me to reflect? But it really did! I decided to put all of my feeling from throughout the day into a graph, it showed the ups and downs of my day and showed me what worked well and what needs improving. This is something I am going to create for each day so I can look back and see the changes.

What if? Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? Wondering what if can be quite depressing because it means recognising what you actually did wasn't that great! In my situation, wondering what if I had done things differently that day could have created a different outcome! But on the other hand it can be quite motivating for the future and actually is a good way of concluding the day. Writing down what could have happened, what I would have loved to happen can also give a positive attitude for the future and creates a better mind-set for next time I am in that particular situation!

The final method I tried was Another view this could involve writing about the day from another persons perspective or looking at the day from the view of someone you had a professional disagreement with. After doing this at the end of my journal I found it helpful to see my day from a different view point and also how someone else saw me in a particular situation.

After trying out all the different writing styles I see the importance of them all and how they help to get an overall view of the days events and reflect on each part. I realise that the styles that work best for me may not work as well for others. I need to decide which ones are most effective for me and continue to use them throughout the reflective process of this course.

No comments:

Post a Comment