Tuesday 18 February 2014

Task 1b: Professional Communication Technologies

For a long time now I have been a regular user of Web 2.0, but before reading 'Reader 1' I didn't even know what it was and after reading other students blogs, I realised I wasn't the only one.

This is my understanding of the difference between Web 1.0 and Web 2.0:

The internet was still only starting out when I was born, so its crazy to think how far its come in 20 years. Web 1.0 was created in the early 90's, it is a one way communication whereby the creator of the website gives information to the visitor and that's where the interaction ends.

Web 2.0 wasn't created until the late 90's- early 00's when I was still quite young, but old enough to be interested in this new way of communication which now a days our generation rely on. Web 2.0 is a two way communication whereby the reader and the creator interact and allows the reader to become the creator.

All social networking sites are included in Web 2.0, the site that I have been using the longest is Facebook, so that was the one that I decided to break down and show why I love it so much, and use it everyday:
  • Members have their own page where they can upload and share whatever they want
  • It can be accessed anywhere in the world
  • The user owns their own date and can delete/add when they want to
  • It is user friendly, quick and easy to use
  • Most importantly its a fantastic way to interact with friends and family to share, connect, comment, like and collaborate.
After breaking down all the amazing things Facebook allows us to do, I realise that all the above point apply to every other social networking sites I use everyday such as twitter, Instagram and now blogger!

I joined Facebook in 2007, and have been hooked ever since, its the first thing I check in the morning and the last I check at night! Living miles away from home whilst training at college, Facebook allowed me to keep in contact with all my friend and family at home. Now I have left college and am living back at home in the North, it is also a great place to find out about upcoming auditions and classes through groups such as The Hustle, Dance Cast and many more.

Instagram and Twitter are another site I use daily. The great thing about these sites is that as well as friends and family, you can also follow your favourite celebrities! I love being able to see what all my friends are upto aswell as the Beckhams or the cast of TOWIE!

As teaching is something I am hoping to go in to, I am very aware of the dangers of using social media sites. Teachers have to consider confidentiality when working so closely with children. So using sites such as Facebook teachers need to be extra careful about what the say and discuss with other users, and be sure not to upload pictures, statues or comments about students.

On a bigger scale, Web 2.0 has changed the way we communicate, there are no boundaries and anyone, anywhere can be a user. I think the reason Web 2.0 is so popular is its relaxed approach, its not a place to be judged and there is no right or wrong, its for you to share anything you want with no pressure at all. It can be beneficial both professionally and personally is one of the greatest inventions of our time and I believe something we couldn't live without!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Lucy.
    I agree with lots of things you have mentioned here! I too generally check my Facebook when I wake up and also before bed! I think the teacher and confidentiality issues you raise are very important, especially for me as that is the field of work that I am hoping to enter. A lot of the children that I teach, despite being quite young, are already using Web 2.0 sites such as Facebook and Twitter and often don't see the reasons for their teachers not being able to accept friendship requests. Also, not from personal experience but I know of someone that works in a secondary school who faced disciplinary action after tweeting a few comments about a student in a particular lesson. Although no names of pupil or school were mentioned, he was brought up on it and it just goes to show how careful teachers have to be. You also mention that there is no right or wrong, which I agree with in a sense as everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but unfortunately some people are judged by others, even f it wrong to do as the anonymity that the internet allows them may let them get away with their behaviour towards opinions they do not agree with.
    Pip :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because we have many such as yourself who have teaching obligations, thinning about online ethical practice has now been embedded into our BAPP Arts course. Teaching standards are set by the government https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/283198/Teachers__Standards.pdf - so this is policy
    we also have experts (practitioners or researchers) doing research about the issues regarding children
    an example http://www.janinelim.com/bc/4thur/ethics.pdf

    How can you relate these ideas to those in Reader 1 which also argues for the importance of connectivity (Siemens, 2005) and and ability to interact with others (Klamma et al. 2007) - yes a difference for adults and children… I have up a blog about Berners-Lee - for scholars and future scholars how do we protect the web?

    ReplyDelete