Sunday 14 December 2014

Critical Reflection of Module 2

Working through parts 4 5 and 6 of Module 2 has provided me with the knowledge I need to conduct my inquiry.

Part 4: Developing lines of Professional Inquiry
During this part of the module, we were asked to begin to think about and develop our own line of inquiry that was specific to our own practice. I wanted to base my inquiry around teaching dance in schools so that's where I began (Appendix 1) these questions were very current at the time as I was just beginning to do some work experience and cover some classes by myself, therefore I found the answers to these questions (Appendix 2) inspiring to myself personally and also valid and helpful to my inquiry. Connecting with my SIG Dance Teacher Community enabled me to develop my line of inquiry and get support and advice from peers who were focusing on similar topics to myself.

In the final task, identifying pieces of literature that were suited to our line of inquiry was incredibly helpful and eye opening as it allowed me to research and find out things that I didn't already know about my chosen topic (Appendix 3). After researching 'How the arts benefits students' I realised just how much information there was out there and decided that it was the right subject for me to develop further.

Part 5: Professional Ethics
In Part 5 we were looking at ethics in the workplace, my first blog (Appendix 4) was my own personal ethical considerations, based on working in schools. I knew that there were lots of other considerations that I hadn't thought about so therefore in part 5b (Appendix 5) I did some research which broadened my knowledge and made me realise just how much there is to think about in terms of safeguarding children in a school environment. After completing this research I explored theoretical approaches to ethics (Appendix 6) which I found in Reader 5, they made me think about my own personal approach.

Part 6: Tools of Inquiry
In the final part of this module, we had to decide what tools we want to use to carry out research that is specific to our inquiry (Appendix 7) after doing some research I decided that I am going to use observations, surveys and interviews. In the next module I will be trailing these different tools and I will decide then whether they are suited to my own inquiry.

To conclude Module 2 has allowed me to discover literature related to my specific interests, explore and research the importance of ethics and helped me decide the most useful tools for my inquiry. All three tasks have enabled me to prepare for my final line of inquiry.

1 comment: